[Kde-pim] wikinew.kde.org to replace kontact.kde.org

Thorsten Staerk Thorsten at Staerk.de
Fri Aug 15 13:10:43 BST 2008

> Thorsten Staerk wrote:
>
>> Hi Pimsters,
>> * we plan to add userbase.kde.org for user topics ("what would interest
>> your mother")
>> * wiki.kde.org will redirect to userbase.kde.org in the long run
>> * the new wiki userbase.kde.org is being prepared under the address
>> wikinew.kde.org
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't think I get it. Currently application user docuementation (how to
> use the application and do things with it) is stored in doc/ folders in
> the
> kde modules. Is this wiki intended to replace that docuemntation? I
> thought
> module.kde.org (< pim, utils, games, edu) was different in that it's about
> the goals for the module and more information on the applications
> (including a link to the user documentation at docs.kde.org).

You are right, pim.kde.org contains developer info, no user info.
kontact.kde.org contains the user info. The doc/ folder contains what
becomes the khelpcenter-help. Do yourself a favor and read how help
systems should work on
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000059.html.
Basically I copied my user documentation from there. I want users to be
able to contribute to application's user pages and I want the user page to
be sortable. Both is not possible with khelpcenter.

> Do you propose to replace {pim,utils,games,edu}.kde.org with
> userbase.kde.org/{pim,utils,games,edu}?

no, I recommend moving pim.kde.org to techbase.kde.org and kontact.kde.org
to (the future) userbase.kde.org.