[Kde-pim] scripting akonadi?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Apr 17 21:22:16 BST 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Tijn Schuurmans wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 00:10:06 Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > Yes, that's correct.
> >
> > Yes/no. As Tobias already tried to explain Akonadi is no storage.
> > Akonadi is an interface (with a cache) between all kinds of PIM
> > data storages (e.g. IMAP servers, local mbox/ical/vcard files,
> > groupware servers, etc.). So the question whether one needs Mailody
> > or KMail to store something in Akonadi makes no sense. You can as
> > well use Thunderbird since AFAIK Thunderbird uses mbox as mail
> > storage. So it would be possible to access those mbox files through
> > Akonadi with Mailody/KMail.
> >
> > The point is that it is irrelevant how the data gets into the
> > storage. You don't need Akonadi and even less you need an
> > Akonadi-client (like KMail/Mailody) for this. The question you
> > should ask is "How do I access the storage via Akonadi?" And the
> > answer to that question is: You must use an Akonadi-client like
> > KMail/Mailody. But you can still access the stored data directly
> > with any other client that is capable of accessing data stored in
> > this particular way (mbox, IMAP, Exchange, groupware server).
> >
> > Just as Solid provides a common and easy to use interface to your
> > hardware, Akonadi provides a common and (hopefully) easy to use
> > interface to your PIM data storage without you, as a developer,
> > having to worry about what kind of PIM data storage you are
> > actually talking to.
>
> I've been following this thread with great interest. I too was (or
> still am) confused about what Akonadi is. I think I understand now
> but I want to get it straight (yeah me too :-P)
>
> Say I want to write a sync-application for synchronizing contact-data
> or calendars to a internet-syncserver (citadel, funambol, soocial.com
> <-- I work there). It only has to run in kde. The most sane way to
> access the contact and calendar data would be through akonadi. Did I
> get that right?

There is already a generic sync-application for KDE: kitchensync. It
uses OpenSync. So what needs to be done (if it hasn't been done
already) is:
- write an OpenSync plugin for accessing PIM data through Akonadi
- write an OpenSync plugin for the internet-syncserver
  or
  write Akonadi resources for the internet-syncserver

Writing Akonadi resources for the internet-syncserver would be
preferable because then one could access the PIM data stored on the
internet-syncserver directly from all applications that use Akonadi.

> This raises some other questions like, will it be possible to query
> akonadi for deleted contacts or events?

I'll leave answering this question to the Akonadi experts.

Regards,
Ingo