[Kde-pim] [rfc] Moving indices to SQLite for pre-Akonadi version of KMail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Apr 23 22:53:37 BST 2008

On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Till Adam wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 April 2008 21:24:26 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've tried nearly every scenario, combinations of close() before
> > KDE_rename() etc., I have no hopes for fixing this in the way we
> > currently try, at mmap level.
> >
> > Howerver, I have proposal to have predictable solution. Already
> > mentioned this to Frank: I propose to develop a quick but stable,
> > and - most important - predictable/portable on Windows: index
> > implementation using native SQLite library.
> > All this before Akonadi arrives in KMail. Then the sqlite solution
> > would be deprecated.
> >
> > I have 4 years of experience with using sqlite. There would be one
> > index per, say, account, where 'index' means sqlite db file here.
> > There are transactions in sqlite, what gives us replacement for
> > rename() and fast lookup using db indices. Random access to the
> > contents of the db give us replacement for mmap().
> >
> > I am at kmfolderindex_sqlite.cpp now, looking at possibility of
> > replacing KMFolderIndex's implementation.
> >
> > The effort would take me one work day. Changes would be isolated
> > from other parts of KMail.
> >
> > Please comment.
>
> If you can pull it off in a day (hell, even three), I'd say go for
> it. I thoroughly loath and despise our current index code. At least
> for !Windows we'll have to have a migration path, though.

I suggest to use the sqlite index only on Windows. This way we'd only
have to care for the migration paths
  sqlite -> akonadi (Windows)
and
  kmail legacy -> akonadi (!Windows)

We'd avoid having to implement
  kmail legacy -> sqlite
for KDE 4.1 (implementing which I'm sure nobody has time for anyway).

The only downside would be that sharing the mail storage between KMail
running on Windows and KMail running on !Windows wouldn't be possible.

Regards,
Ingo