[Kde-pim] [rfc] Moving indices to SQLite for pre-Akonadi version of KMail

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue Apr 22 20:24:26 BST 2008

Hello,
I've tried nearly every scenario, combinations of close() before KDE_rename()
etc., I have no hopes for fixing this in the way we currently try, at mmap level.

Howerver, I have proposal to have predictable solution. Already mentioned this
to Frank: I propose to develop a quick but stable, and - most important -
predictable/portable on Windows: index implementation using native SQLite
library.
All this before Akonadi arrives in KMail. Then the sqlite solution would be
deprecated.

I have 4 years of experience with using sqlite. There would be one index per,
say, account, where 'index' means sqlite db file here. There are transactions
in sqlite, what gives us replacement for rename() and fast lookup using db
indices. Random access to the contents of the db give us replacement for mmap().

I am at kmfolderindex_sqlite.cpp now, looking at possibility of replacing
KMFolderIndex's implementation.

The effort would take me one work day. Changes would be isolated from other
parts of KMail.

Please comment.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek