[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4.1?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Apr 30 12:02:13 BST 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 8:32, Jonathan Marten wrote:
> Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> writes:
>> One idea is to eliminate kdepim and move any of the apps
>> that people still care about and actively maintain to extragear.
>>
>> Certainly, it is time for a review of what we have and what
>> we need to jettison into unmaintained.
>
> I'm not sure about moving anything to unmaintained unless the
> application really is unmaintained (not just "needs work when a
> developer has the time").  The danger is that something moved to
> unmaintained may get abandoned there.

I agree.

> KDEPIM is getting to be a huge and wide-ranging package, would it be
> worth splitting it up into two?  The main applications
> (KMail+kmailcvt, Kontact, Korganiser) are big and extensive enough to
> justify a package of their own, separate from the secondary apps
> (notes, mobile tools, sync...).  Having the second category still part
> of an official release would avoid them disappearing.  The goal for
> 4.1 could then be "all apps in PIM1 ready", and "PIM2 ready" for 4.2.

If kdepim were split or applications moved into extragear, what would
happen to the kdepim internal libraries? We'd have to make much more
library API public in that case, which would mean more stuff having to be
kept binary compatible for the lifetime of KDE 4 (and lots more
documentation effort etc - although that might not be a bad thing in the
long run).

I'd much rather follow Cornelius' suggestion and just exclude apps from
the release until they are ready. Genuinely unmaintained apps shouldn't be
kept in kdepim indefinitely, but those which are likely to be worked on
for KDE 4.2 should remain in place.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.