[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4.1?

Jonathan Marten jjm2 at keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 08:32:53 BST 2008

Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> writes:
> One idea is to eliminate kdepim and move any of the apps
> that people still care about and actively maintain to extragear.
>
> Certainly, it is time for a review of what we have and what
> we need to jettison into unmaintained.

I'm not sure about moving anything to unmaintained unless the
application really is unmaintained (not just "needs work when a
developer has the time").  The danger is that something moved to
unmaintained may get abandoned there.

KDEPIM is getting to be a huge and wide-ranging package, would it be
worth splitting it up into two?  The main applications
(KMail+kmailcvt, Kontact, Korganiser) are big and extensive enough to
justify a package of their own, separate from the secondary apps
(notes, mobile tools, sync...).  Having the second category still part
of an official release would avoid them disappearing.  The goal for
4.1 could then be "all apps in PIM1 ready", and "PIM2 ready" for 4.2.

Somebody's "secondary application", of course, is somebody else's
"can't do without"...

- Jonathan

--
Jonathan Marten                         http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk