[Kde-pim] scripting akonadi?

Tijn Schuurmans t.schuurmans at hccnet.nl
Wed Apr 16 17:46:45 BST 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 00:10:06 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 02:38:02PM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> > > On Mon, April 14, 2008 9:33 pm, Tobias Koenig wrote:
>
> > > for end users, this means that the only way for them to store email
> > > into akonadi is to use mailody or kmail, until/unless somebody
> > > integrates libakonadi-kde into Evolution, Thunderbird or any other
> > > FOSS client,right? (this is not a critique, I just want to be sure
> > > I got it right)
> >
> > Yes, that's correct.
>
> Yes/no. As Tobias already tried to explain Akonadi is no storage.
> Akonadi is an interface (with a cache) between all kinds of PIM data
> storages (e.g. IMAP servers, local mbox/ical/vcard files, groupware
> servers, etc.). So the question whether one needs Mailody or KMail to
> store something in Akonadi makes no sense. You can as well use
> Thunderbird since AFAIK Thunderbird uses mbox as mail storage. So it
> would be possible to access those mbox files through Akonadi with
> Mailody/KMail.
>
> The point is that it is irrelevant how the data gets into the storage.
> You don't need Akonadi and even less you need an Akonadi-client (like
> KMail/Mailody) for this. The question you should ask is "How do I
> access the storage via Akonadi?" And the answer to that question is:
> You must use an Akonadi-client like KMail/Mailody. But you can still
> access the stored data directly with any other client that is capable
> of accessing data stored in this particular way (mbox, IMAP, Exchange,
> groupware server).
>
> Just as Solid provides a common and easy to use interface to your
> hardware, Akonadi provides a common and (hopefully) easy to use
> interface to your PIM data storage without you, as a developer, having
> to worry about what kind of PIM data storage you are actually talking
> to.

I've been following this thread with great interest. I too was (or still am)
confused about what Akonadi is. I think I understand now but I want to get it
straight (yeah me too :-P)

Say I want to write a sync-application for synchronizing contact-data or
calendars to a internet-syncserver (citadel, funambol, soocial.com <-- I work
there). It only has to run in kde. The most sane way to access the contact
and calendar data would be through akonadi. Did I get that right?

This raises some other questions like, will it be possible to query akonadi
for deleted contacts or events?

> > But be aware that Akonadi is not a Groupware Storage, onyl a Cache...
>
> ... and, IMO even more importantly, a common interface.

Right, I'll make a note to download the interface specs for train-reading :-)

Cheers,
Tijn