[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4.1?

Thorsten Staerk Thorsten at Staerk.de
Wed Apr 30 14:22:40 BST 2008

> Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> writes:
>> One idea is to eliminate kdepim and move any of the apps
>> that people still care about and actively maintain to extragear.
>>
>> Certainly, it is time for a review of what we have and what
>> we need to jettison into unmaintained.
>
> I'm not sure about moving anything to unmaintained unless the
> application really is unmaintained (not just "needs work when a
> developer has the time").  The danger is that something moved to
> unmaintained may get abandoned there.
>
> KDEPIM is getting to be a huge and wide-ranging package, would it be
> worth splitting it up into two?  The main applications
> (KMail+kmailcvt, Kontact, Korganiser) are big and extensive enough to
> justify a package of their own, separate from the secondary apps
> (notes, mobile tools, sync...).  Having the second category still part
> of an official release would avoid them disappearing.  The goal for
> 4.1 could then be "all apps in PIM1 ready", and "PIM2 ready" for 4.2.
>
> Somebody's "secondary application", of course, is somebody else's
> "can't do without"...

and how do I explain this e.g. in a tutorial ? Maybe so:
"Install Microsoft Office and you have everything that you need. With KDE,
it is different. You must install koffice, but then you don't have mail,
so, install kdepim-maintained and kdepim-notsomaintained, but
kdepim-notsomaintained is only needed if you want knotes or
konsolekalendar. Because kdepim-maintained contains the important kdepim
programs and such that have a lot of commits."
Just kidding, I know everybody is doing his/her best. However, it is
already now hard enough for a user to understand the packaging (thanks,
kdesupport and kdepimlibs).

I know one user of kde (my colleague) and one developer (me). The user
says KDE 4 is awesome, kmail 4 that I got from the openSUSE build service
really rocks, pull it out as soon as you can.
The developer (I) say: I am starving from missing bug reports. I program
and program, but get no feedback because no-one uses beta-software. I am
sick from maintaining two now-so-much diverging code bases, "karm" 1.6 and
ktimetracker 4.

Maintainers, be aware that you have to "maintain" a quality level - if (
you have no programming time && your software sucks ) { remove it };

~Thorsten()