[Kde-pim] Future of SMS messaging through Kontact

Matthias Lechner matthias at lmme.de
Mon Sep 17 18:38:41 BST 2007

Hi Stephen,
>> Wow. I just installed KMobileTools and it is incredible. I tried using
>> opensync and syncml-obex-client for communicating with my phone before (SE
>> k750i), and neither worked well. I've just been sending and reading smses
>> and making and accepting voice calls through it. It doesn't seem to allow
>> me to delete messages yet, but hopefully I can help fix that. I've added
>> the mailing list to knode. It seems to be only commits at the moment, but
>> that might change. I've just now started updating kdesupport. It'll
>> probably be a while before I've got everything updated for kde4
>> development. It doesn't seem to integrate with kontact though. Maybe that's
>> just the 5.0 version?

Yes, currently the mailing list only holds commit messages, development
decisions are made on IRC.
I am not sure about the kontact integration state of KMobileTools in its
current subversion revision, but it used to integrate in KMobileTools
0.5-beta3.

> I think there's a misunderstanding. I don't mean building the functionality
> into kaddressbook as much as making it available through kaddressbook.
> Kaddressbook already offers functionality for sending texts and making
> phonecalls to a selected contact through configured command line tools. I'm
> all for improving this functionality and putting it into KMobileTools. Then
> when a user tries to send an sms a kmobiletools dialog comes up. Compare
> this to what happens when trying to send an email to a contact in
> kaddressbook: a kmail dialog comes up.

Ok, that is the way I like it :-)
> Is there documentation for kmobiletools for developers somewhere?

Since KMobileTools is developed in kdepim, you can find API docs at
http://api.kde.org under kdepim/kmobiletools.

If you are interested in KMobileTools development (which I can promise
is definitely fun :-)), you can join #kmobiletools on freenode or send
me an e-mail (matthias at lmme.de).

Best regards
Matthias