[Kde-pim] Future of SMS messaging through Kontact

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:51:41 BST 2007

postmaster at lmme.de wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
Hi. Good to hear from you.

> sorry, but I currently don't have much time, so just a short comment on
> that thing:
> I would like to see such services in KMobileTools since we already provide
> management of sms, so maybe this kind of sms service could be smoothly
> integrated.

Wow. I just installed KMobileTools and it is incredible. I tried using
opensync and syncml-obex-client for communicating with my phone before (SE
k750i), and neither worked well. I've just been sending and reading smses
and making and accepting voice calls through it. It doesn't seem to allow
me to delete messages yet, but hopefully I can help fix that. I've added
the mailing list to knode. It seems to be only commits at the moment, but
that might change. I've just now started updating kdesupport. It'll
probably be a while before I've got everything updated for kde4
development. It doesn't seem to integrate with kontact though. Maybe that's
just the 5.0 version?

> And actually I disagree to integrate services for mobile phones in
> kaddressbook. KMobileTools already provides a good framework for such kind
> of services and it's always bad to duplicate work.

I think there's a misunderstanding. I don't mean building the functionality
into kaddressbook as much as making it available through kaddressbook.
Kaddressbook already offers functionality for sending texts and making
phonecalls to a selected contact through configured command line tools. I'm
all for improving this functionality and putting it into KMobileTools. Then
when a user tries to send an sms a kmobiletools dialog comes up. Compare
this to what happens when trying to send an email to a contact in
kaddressbook: a kmail dialog comes up.

Is there documentation for kmobiletools for developers somewhere?

> Best regards
> Matthias

Thanks for the mail.

Steve.