[Kde-pim] Porting KAddressBook

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Thu Sep 6 22:30:11 BST 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 07:13:01PM +0200, Mathias Soeken wrote:
> Hello everybody.
Hi Mathias,

> I am currenty trying to port kaddressbook and fix some crashes.
Thanks for taking care of it!

> 1) Port kaddressbook as it is now, try to make it work and ship it with KDE
> 4.0. After that try to make it work with new techniques like akonadi/khalki
> (whatever)
>
> 2) I saw some controls  and models in akonadi for kabc. I worked a little bit
> with that yesterday and tried to create a card view on base of QListView and
> the KABCModel from akonadi. So I could make use of these controls in
> kaddressbook instead of the current code. Instead of porting, I could work on
> the sources in akonadi. So it could be that kaddressbook is a little bit
> smaller in KDE 4.0 and would be extended in future versions.
I'd like to see the second approach. For KDE 4.1 I plan a complete rewrite of
KAddressBook based on the Akonadi models.

The GUI layout should go more in the direction of e.g. the Thunderbird
address book. On the left you have a column with all address books, in
the middel a list of all contacts _and_ distribution lists, on the right
you have a details view, which shows details about the selection contact
or distribution list.

An really important topic will be the contact editor... it shall be self
contained (talks to akonadi directly) and usable by other applications
than KAddressBook as well.

We have to find a good way to provide a smaller, not so overloaded, GUI
for it.

> Besides GUI I would have to update the export things or will they move into
> akonadi?
Import and export should be extracted into a separated component, like
it is done for kmail currently. This component is used by KAddressBook,
but does the importing self contained as well.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!