[Kde-pim] Porting KAddressBook

Mathias Soeken msoeken at tzi.de
Fri Sep 7 09:21:45 BST 2007

On Thursday 06 September 2007 23:30:11 Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 07:13:01PM +0200, Mathias Soeken wrote:
> > 1) Port kaddressbook as it is now, try to make it work and ship it with
> > KDE 4.0. After that try to make it work with new techniques like
> > akonadi/khalki (whatever)
> >
> > 2) I saw some controls  and models in akonadi for kabc. I worked a little
> > bit with that yesterday and tried to create a card view on base of
> > QListView and the KABCModel from akonadi. So I could make use of these
> > controls in kaddressbook instead of the current code. Instead of porting,
> > I could work on the sources in akonadi. So it could be that kaddressbook
> > is a little bit smaller in KDE 4.0 and would be extended in future
> > versions.
>
> I'd like to see the second approach. For KDE 4.1 I plan a complete rewrite
> of KAddressBook based on the Akonadi models.

This is contradictory. Approach 2 means a rewrite. But I think it is too late
for KDE 4.0. So how about this?

kaddressbook will be ported for KDE 4.0 as it is now with crashes fixes and
less Qt3 / KDE3 support. Features, which will not be available or ar too
buggy when KDE 4.0 will be released could be removed.

> The GUI layout should go more in the direction of e.g. the Thunderbird
> address book. On the left you have a column with all address books, in
> the middel a list of all contacts _and_ distribution lists, on the right
> you have a details view, which shows details about the selection contact
> or distribution list.
>
> An really important topic will be the contact editor... it shall be self
> contained (talks to akonadi directly) and usable by other applications
> than KAddressBook as well.
>
> We have to find a good way to provide a smaller, not so overloaded, GUI
> for it.

So the new kaddressbook would be something like a akonadi gui. I would like to
help with that. Should this project start after KDE 4.0 release or parallel
in playground or whereever?

Best regards,
Mathias