[Kde-pim] Initial column sizes of the folder tree wrong : fix

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at gmx.net
Sun Nov 25 15:41:37 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jérémy Compostella wrote:
> 2007/11/24, Thomas McGuire <thomas.mcguire at gmx.net>:
> > On Saturday 24 November 2007, Jérémy Compostella wrote:
> > > A patch which fix the "Initial column sizes of the folder tree wrong"
> > > bug referenced on http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/kdepim/kde4bugs.
> > >
> > > Just let the automatic sizing for the "Folder" column. setStrech on
> > > the other to avoid scrolling bar.
> >
> > Thanks for the patch.
> > Unfortunately, I have a problem with it: This patch introduces a
> > horizontal scrollbar for me, but the folder tree should not have
> > one.Please create a new patch which fixes this.
>
> I can't reproduce this problem here. Except if in my kmail settings I
> have some old bad settings values about the folder tree geometry. If
> you don't have tried this before, please remove the kmailrc file
> settings and try again. If the problem is always there, I'll be glad
> if you can help me to reproduce it on my computer.
I tried with a completely clean config (I rm'd my .kde4).
Maybe you need to resize the main splitter to see the scrollbar.
Before your patch, decreasing the horizontal size of the folder tree decreased
the size of one of the columns (I think the first one), and did not add a
scrollbar.

Additionally, now the name column size is reset each time a new folder is
added or the folder tree is rebuilt, this resets the user configured size,
which is not good I think.

I think there should be simply a sensible default on first startup, and no
automatic resizing after that.

> > I also suggest to hide the size column by
> > default, and to hide the unread column as well, this gains some space.
>
> I'm agree for the size column size which is not really relevant by
> default, IMHO it looks rather an advanced feature than a by default
> feature. But in the case of the unread column I think it's too useful
> for users (me included ;)) that it appears by default when the
> application starts, checks for email and the user begin to read his
> e-mails watching for this number to decrease. Moreover, a user with
> many main folders for several mailing list generally want to know
> where are spread out all his new e-mails.
Yes, that is true, I should have been more precise. I didn't really mean to
disable the unread column, but to set it to be displayed after the folder
name (See View->Unread Count in the menu).

Cheers,
Thomas