[Kde-pim] Initial column sizes of the folder tree wrong : fix

Jérémy Compostella jeremy.compostella at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 19:30:26 GMT 2007

2007/11/25, Thomas McGuire <thomas.mcguire at gmx.net>:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 25 November 2007, Jérémy Compostella wrote:

> > > Thanks for the patch.
> > > Unfortunately, I have a problem with it: This patch introduces a
> > > horizontal scrollbar for me, but the folder tree should not have
> > > one.Please create a new patch which fixes this.
> >
> > I can't reproduce this problem here. Except if in my kmail settings I
> > have some old bad settings values about the folder tree geometry. If
> > you don't have tried this before, please remove the kmailrc file
> > settings and try again. If the problem is always there, I'll be glad
> > if you can help me to reproduce it on my computer.
> I tried with a completely clean config (I rm'd my .kde4).
> Maybe you need to resize the main splitter to see the scrollbar.
Yes, now I see your problem.
> Before your patch, decreasing the horizontal size of the folder tree decreased
> the size of one of the columns (I think the first one), and did not add a
> scrollbar.
This was because of the first colum was the only strechable column
which lead to the previous bug concerning this size.
> Additionally, now the name column size is reset each time a new folder is
> added or the folder tree is rebuilt, this resets the user configured size,
> which is not good I think.
I've seen it and I'm agree with you.
> I think there should be simply a sensible default on first startup, and no
> automatic resizing after that.
Yes I think too the users settings should overload the kmail default
settings and the current behavior should only be used on the first
start of kmail.
I suggest to disable the all left part when the minimum size to show
it without scrollbars it reached : the same behavior that when you
reach the minimum size of the favorite view. IMHO, this solution moves
closer to the KDE4 graphics guidelines. How do you feel about this ?

> > > I also suggest to hide the size column by
> > > default, and to hide the unread column as well, this gains some space.
> >
> > I'm agree for the size column size which is not really relevant by
> > default, IMHO it looks rather an advanced feature than a by default
> > feature. But in the case of the unread column I think it's too useful
> > for users (me included ;)) that it appears by default when the
> > application starts, checks for email and the user begin to read his
> > e-mails watching for this number to decrease. Moreover, a user with
> > many main folders for several mailing list generally want to know
> > where are spread out all his new e-mails.
> Yes, that is true, I should have been more precise. I didn't really mean to
> disable the unread column, but to set it to be displayed after the folder
> name (See View->Unread Count in the menu).
You're right and I will do it.

Jeremy Compostella