[Kde-pim] Sending invitations to Outlook users

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue May 1 22:12:34 BST 2007

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 21:50, Jan-Pascal van Best wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can only say that the patch is necessary when you have to
> > communicate with an MS Exchange 200x server. IMHO It does not help
> > when you want to communicate  with a plain OL without Exchange
> > server and still have problems that invitations are only seen as
> > attachment (in OL)
> >
> >> Was there a commit?
> >
> > I don't think so.  Jan-Pascals code works here perfect but a config
> > option and a GUI for configuration is missing. As long as such a
> > config option is documented the latter is not that important ;-)
>
> We had an ambitious plan for checking all possible client-server
> combinations, but that turned out to be way too much work. I second
> Thorsten that all that is needed is a config option, and maybe a GUI.
> For all people that need to exchange invitations and such with others
> in Microsoft-land, it would be very useful!
>
> I'm not sure if I can find enough round tuits to delve into KDE
> config management for this patch, but I will if I can :-)

Config management is pretty easy nowadays. All you have to do is add a
new entry to kmail.kcfg like the following one:
=====
      <entry name="OutlookCompatibleAttachments" type="Bool">
        <label>Outlook-compatible attachment naming</label>
        <whatsthis>Turn this option on to make Outlook ™
understand attachment names containing non-English
characters</whatsthis>
        <default>false</default>
      </entry>
=====

I suggest to add the new entry to the "Groupware" group.

You can access the value of this config key via
    GlobalSettings::self()->outlookCompatibleAttachments()
and set it via
    GlobalSettings::self()->setOutlookCompatibleAttachments( ... )

If you need more information about this I suggest reading the KConfig XT
tutorial
(http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Using_KConfig_XT).

Regards,
Ingo