[Kde-pim] relicense linklocator

mark at easymailings.com mark at easymailings.com
Thu Mar 22 23:39:18 GMT 2007

wrote:

>> On Thursday 22 March 2007 09:37, Tom Albers wrote:

>> > I don't have time to figure out who else to ask for
permission for

>> > the license change (1st April is approaching fast, who made
that

>> > schedule??).

>From the svn log I see all the usual suspects, most of

>> > them already agreed twice to relicense questions from me. If
you

>> > object to this one, let me or the list know, I will revert
the change

>> > instantly.

>> > Now we only have to decide where to put this file in
kdepimlibs.

>> > Maybe as part of the kmime is not so bad...

>> IMO it really doesn't fit into kmime. kmime should stay a clean
library

>> for dealing with MIME. LinkLocator has much more in common with
the

>> bodypartformatter stuff (since it obviously does some formatting
of

>> text/plain body parts). Unfortunately, the number of existing
libraries

>> in kdepimlibs is pretty small and I can't see any library
LinkLocator

>> would nicely fit into. Let's see what Allen thinks.

> I don't know what to think.

> My first instinct was emailfunctions lib.  But Volker reminded me

> that we wanted to merge those functions into kmime and

> eliminate the emailfunctions lib.

> Then Volker reminded me that what we really want is a message
reader

> kpart that can be shared between KMail, KNode, Mailody, etc.  And

> the linklocator would go there.

> And we don't want to recreate another libkdepim with a bunch of
misc

> stuff.

> Currently we have emailfunctions and kimap which contain only

> a few static methods.  no classes.  And I don't think yet-another

> such lib called "kbodyformatter" would be such a great
idea.

I just looked through CPAN [1] for inspiration.  They have a
Mail-Message module.  Would kMailMessage work?

> And we know that there are a bunch of utility static methods that

> would be useful to have in kdepimlibs.

> So....  Ideas?

> It seems that a kpimutils lib where we put all these static utility

> methods

> may be a necessity that we can't avoid.

I don't see anything wrong with static methods.  Much better static
utilities then forced into some poorly named class.  Over time, maybe
a new class name will make itself apparent ...

[1]
(http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-category/19_Mail_and_Usenet_News/Mail/)