[Kde-pim] KDE PIM and 4.0

Matt Williams matt at milliams.com
Wed Mar 14 15:42:29 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 12:24:58 David Jarvie wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 20:55, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > Second, the KDE PIMsters are a bunch of bloody brilliant people. That
>
> sounds
>
> > like a great thing, but it's a curse as well. Because brilliant people
> > have brilliant ideas and these are usually slightly larger than what they
> > can realistically implement until the next release. So writing a boring
> > mail reading tool would be easy for us, but the goal to write the best
> > personal information management application under the sun of course
> > brings us to our limits. Unfortunately it's also a no-brainer to hire KDE
> > PIM developers. So instead of being healthily unemployed the developers
> > usually have to choose from too many interesting things to do, and while
> > of course KDE PIM is the only true way to satisfaction, getting real
> > money is something KDE PIM developer usually are not stupid enough to
> > reject. So in some way KDE
>
> PIM is
>
> > eaten by its own success.
>
> Apart from your conclusion, I think your analysis is correct. The real
> solution which must inevitably be deduced from your analysis is that what
> KDEPIM really needs is lots of STUPID developers. That way they'll remain
> unemployed with lots of time to spend on KDEPIM development ;)

Well, I'm a university student so I guess I fall into this category :)

> Seriously though, I think the overall analysis in your posting is good,
> particularly about the way that PIM projects don't seem cool and therefore
> don't attract people. Anything which portrayed them as exciting and
> trailblazing and helped change this image could be very useful.

I would be interested in helping out with development. In a few weeks time I
should have plenty of time to get PIM into shape for KDE4. Is there any
application in particular which requires attention?

I already have a full KDE4 development environment set up but a point in the
direction of where help is needed would be appreciated.

The PIM applications are some of the most useful and necessary on the desktop
and it would be a shame to see them fall by the wayside.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com