[Kde-pim] KDE PIM and 4.0

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Wed Mar 14 12:24:58 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 20:55, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> Second, the KDE PIMsters are a bunch of bloody brilliant people. That
sounds
> like a great thing, but it's a curse as well. Because brilliant people have
> brilliant ideas and these are usually slightly larger than what they can
> realistically implement until the next release. So writing a boring mail
> reading tool would be easy for us, but the goal to write the best personal
> information management application under the sun of course brings us to our
> limits. Unfortunately it's also a no-brainer to hire KDE PIM developers. So
> instead of being healthily unemployed the developers usually have to choose
> from too many interesting things to do, and while of course KDE PIM is the
> only true way to satisfaction, getting real money is something KDE PIM
> developer usually are not stupid enough to reject. So in some way KDE
PIM is
> eaten by its own success.

Apart from your conclusion, I think your analysis is correct. The real
solution which must inevitably be deduced from your analysis is that what
KDEPIM really needs is lots of STUPID developers. That way they'll remain
unemployed with lots of time to spend on KDEPIM development ;)

Seriously though, I think the overall analysis in your posting is good,
particularly about the way that PIM projects don't seem cool and therefore
don't attract people. Anything which portrayed them as exciting and
trailblazing and helped change this image could be very useful.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.