[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4.0

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Mar 19 22:46:55 GMT 2007

On Sunday 18 March 2007 23:49, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Sunday 18 March 2007 22:54, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Just a thought:
> > I think it does not really make much sense to aim for API stability
> > in kdepimlibs until the APIs based on Akonadi are stable. As far as
> > I've heard this won't happen before KDE 4.1. So we should make it
> > extra clear that most libraries in kdepimlibs will neither remain
> > binary nor source compatible for the whole lifetime of KDE 4.
>
> An alternative might be to declare the libraries in kdepimlibs which
> we know will change as KDE 3 compatibility libs and introduce the
> replacement in KDE 4.1. Similar to what Trolltech did with QCanvas
> for Qt4.
>
> We might also want to think about changing kdepimlibs in such a way
> that it is possible to make them use Akonadi internally once it is
> ready, so that applications which now use kdepimlibs will keep
> functioning and interoperate with new apps or newer versions of apps
> which will use the native Akonadi interfaces. I'm not exactly sure
> what this would involve, though.

Given our extremely scarce resources we shouldn't waste our precious
time trying to keep outdated APIs alive. Sure we could use Akonadi as
another KResource or port all KResources to use Akonadi as backend, but
I don't think that's what we want to do. We want to get rid of the old
cruft and not turn it into zombies. OTOH, I'm so far away from knowing
what's currently going on in KDE PIM development that I probably better
stop talking about things I know near nothing about.

Regards,
Ingo