[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4.0

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun Mar 18 22:49:49 GMT 2007

On Sunday 18 March 2007 22:54, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> Just a thought:
> I think it does not really make much sense to aim for API stability in
> kdepimlibs until the APIs based on Akonadi are stable. As far as I've
> heard this won't happen before KDE 4.1. So we should make it extra
> clear that most libraries in kdepimlibs will neither remain binary nor
> source compatible for the whole lifetime of KDE 4.

An alternative might be to declare the libraries in kdepimlibs which we know
will change as KDE 3 compatibility libs and introduce the replacement in KDE
4.1. Similar to what Trolltech did with QCanvas for Qt4.

We might also want to think about changing kdepimlibs in such a way that it is
possible to make them use Akonadi internally once it is ready, so that
applications which now use kdepimlibs will keep functioning and interoperate
with new apps or newer versions of apps which will use the native Akonadi
interfaces. I'm not exactly sure what this would involve, though.