[Kde-pim] KDEPIM 4.0

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Mar 19 23:22:42 GMT 2007

On Monday 19 March 2007 23:46, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> Given our extremely scarce resources we shouldn't waste our precious
> time trying to keep outdated APIs alive. Sure we could use Akonadi as
> another KResource or port all KResources to use Akonadi as backend, but
> I don't think that's what we want to do. We want to get rid of the old
> cruft and not turn it into zombies. OTOH, I'm so far away from knowing
> what's currently going on in KDE PIM development that I probably better
> stop talking about things I know near nothing about.

I share your feelings. But we have to answer the question, what of KDE PIM we
will ship with KDE 4.0. There are a couple of alternatives:

1) Nothing, KDE PIM 4 gets shipped with KDE 4.1.
2) The current state plus bug fixes based on and including the old libraries.
That basically would mean that KDE PIM 4.0 is KDE PIM 3 ported to Qt4 and
kdelibs 4.0 without a huge number of improvements. This would go against the
notion to get rid of old cruft.
3) The current state plus bug fixes based on and including a slightly polished
version of the old libraries which won't get in the way, when we move
everything to Akonadi later. Sounds like some tedious work.
4) KDE PIM 4 based on Akonadi. That's ambitious.

According to the KDE 4 release plan we have to come up with an answer to that
question and the accompanying code until June 1st.