[Kde-pim] About KOrganizer's timezone setting

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon Jul 30 14:26:40 BST 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007 9:20:54 am Bruno Virlet wrote:
> Hello !
>
> > The idea is as follows :
> > - The calendar displays local times by default
> > - When you add an event, you add it by default with local times but you
> > have the ability to change to another timezone if prefered.
> > - You can obviously change an event timezone.
> > - You can possibly change the display timezone of the calendar
> > - Changing the display timezone doesn't change any event info, it only
> > change the position of the events to match the choosen timezone.
>
> I have begun to implement this to see the result. I have something which seems
> functional at first glance (you can choose your event timezone and edit it,
> when you change the timezone in the settings it's taken in account and the
> events position change in the view).

> - Adding timezone info impacts a lot of code because each incidence->dtStart()
> (and dtEnd()) has to be converted to KOPrefs::instance()->timeSpec() for
> instance. Do we want this to impact todos, journals, blogs too ?

David already thought about this alot.
I hope he will respond with the best way to handle this.

> - Their are functions in kcal which are still QDate-only (eg. the functions
> events(QDate date) which gives a list of events at the given date, but
> without timezone specification, so this is useless). There are maybe others ?
> I think it is worth changing that to have a good timezone support. But is it
> still possible to make changes in kdepimlibs ? And how much code will this
> impact then in other kde modules ?

David put a hell of a lot of work into providing "working" timezone support
into our core libs.  We need to use that work.

Yes, we can change kcal where needed to QDateTime -> KDateTime
There shouldn't be much impact outside of kdepim.