[Kde-pim] About KOrganizer's timezone setting

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu Jul 26 17:00:16 BST 2007

On Thursday 26 July 2007 17:00, Bruno Virlet wrote:

> Following a bug report about the KOrganizer settings timezone being
> different from the system one and not being updated together, Will and me
> talked about a new way to use the timezones in KOrganizer (about which you
> probably discussed at Osnabrueck meeting).

Yes, timezones, endless fun...

The big mistake we made in KOrganizer is that the timezone is an attribute of
the model not the view. So times get converted when loading, but it's not
possible to have a view with a different timezone. This has caused all kind
of interesting bugs with "jumping" events in the past.

I would like to see a separation of model data and time zones. In the Qt4
world we might want to have a proxy model taking care of timezones.

> The idea is as follows :
> - The calendar displays local times by default

This is good. For many users timezones won't be a problem at all, because they
only use one of them, so local time is very often just right. Everything more
complex should not be too intrusive to not make KOrganizer more difficult to
use for the basic cases.

> - When you add an event, you add it by default with local times but you
> have the ability to change to another timezone if prefered.

That sounds good.

> - You can obviously change an event timezone.

How should this work? An extra button in the event editor which opens an
extended time editor which includes the time zone?

> - You can possibly change the display timezone of the calendar

For some users this is an important feature. Even more important it might be
to be able to show multiple timezones at once. One feature I wanted to have
for a long time is the option to have more than one time scale in the agenda
view, so you could easily see which time the event is in another time zone.
This would be very helpful for meeting with attendees from different time
zones (this is getting a more and more common use case).

> - Changing the display timezone doesn't change any event info, it only
> change the position of the events to match the choosen timezone.

Yes.