[Kde-pim] About KOrganizer's timezone setting

Bruno Virlet bruno at virlet.org
Mon Jul 30 14:20:54 BST 2007

Hello !

> The idea is as follows :
> - The calendar displays local times by default
> - When you add an event, you add it by default with local times but you
> have the ability to change to another timezone if prefered.
> - You can obviously change an event timezone.
> - You can possibly change the display timezone of the calendar
> - Changing the display timezone doesn't change any event info, it only
> change the position of the events to match the choosen timezone.

I have begun to implement this to see the result. I have something which seems
functional at first glance (you can choose your event timezone and edit it,
when you change the timezone in the settings it's taken in account and the
events position change in the view).

But there are some problems:
currentOffset() is always null. I have written a mail to David Jarvie who is
going to have a look)
- Adding timezone info impacts a lot of code because each incidence->dtStart()
(and dtEnd()) has to be converted to KOPrefs::instance()->timeSpec() for
instance. Do we want this to impact todos, journals, blogs too ?
- Their are functions in kcal which are still QDate-only (eg. the functions
events(QDate date) which gives a list of events at the given date, but
without timezone specification, so this is useless). There are maybe others ?
I think it is worth changing that to have a good timezone support. But is it
still possible to make changes in kdepimlibs ? And how much code will this
impact then in other kde modules ?

Thanks,
Bruno