[Kde-pim] Kontact and Groupware - features

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Aug 27 13:05:00 BST 2007

On Sunday 26 August 2007, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 04:44:31PM +0200, Roland Wolters wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Roland,
>
> > The main question is: where does Kontact store the Groupware
> > configuration data?
>
> Since Kontact consists of all the single PIM applications, each
> application stores the data in its own configuration/data directory.
>
> KMail:
>   Config: $HOME/.kde/share/config/kmail*
>   Data: $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/
>         $HOME/Mail or $HOME/.Mail (depends on the distribution :/)

I think for new installations it will always be
$HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail (Since KDE 3.4 if I remember correctly)

$HOME/Mail is it when user accounts have existed before. KMail detects this on
upgrades and uses the old location.

$HOME/.Mail is it only for some older versions of Mandrake. Unfortunately
Mandrake decided to patch their KMail rather than use the respective
configuration option [1].
This was "fun" when their users upgraded, but I think there is probably no
such installation left anywhere where it concerns the audience of the
article.

[1] Option "folders" in group "General" in KMail's config kmailrc. Usually
empty, Upgraded older installtions (those with $HOME/Mail) will have it set

% kreadconfig --file kmailrc --group General --key folders

Actually all $HOME/.kde references above are subject to KDE environment
variables. See http://techbase.kde.org/SysAdmin

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring