[Kde-pim] RS IM in Kopete -> Interacting with KMail -> Offer both to OOo and/or Koffice

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Tue Aug 21 18:38:22 BST 2007

Le mardi 21 août 2007, Michael Schmidt a écrit :

> It should be integrated into a multi-protocol messenger: Kopete, if
> Kopete is based on
> Telepathy, Akonadi, Decibell, etc. then here as well.. hope the
> discussion is fetched by a technician., The resources must come from
> interest here, as even the RS team could not fulfil even the OOo
> interest, as they need to develop the library still.. but messaging is
> perfect, not it is filetransfer, which is worked on.
> It would be great, if someone could have a look at the library of RS.

Kopete is very modular.  It support several IM Protocols (Jabber, MSN, AIM,
ICQ, ...) as kind of plugins extentions.

A protocol plugin consist of a implementation of some Kopete abstract
interfaces in order to talk that protocol.

If you have a cross platform library, it should be easy to write a Kopete
plugin that act as a wrapper to that library.
If you don't have code do share,  all the protocol implementation need to be
written from scratch.

> Fine, how do we can get this to the development teams of each of these
> systems?

If you want to develop such as plugin, you jest need to look into the Kopete
source for example how to do.
The Kopete API is on api.kde.org

You can ask technical questions on kopete-devel at kde.org

You can even develop the plugin in the KDE SVN if you want (but in the
kdeplayground)