[Kde-pim] KMail: discussion on mechanism of Identity selection when composing

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Aug 26 20:54:58 BST 2007

On Friday 24 August 2007 16:01, Alexis Papadopoulos wrote:
> On Friday 24 August 2007, Alexis Papadopoulos wrote:
> > _ When I hit "compose new mail", the identity is always to set
> > to the default one. While this seems natural enough, I tend (and
> > this is just a personal opinion !) to think that the Thunderbird
> > way is more appropriate. It basically sets the identity to the
> > currently viewed account in the folder list. (If say I have a
> > receiving account named "RecvAcct1" with mail address,
> > me at recvacct1.net), and I'm viewing the INBOX of this account,
> > hitting new mail will set the identity to the one related to
> > me at recvacct1.net. OK, that's not very clear, but hopefully you
> > understood me.
>
> I just realized while looking for something else in the code, that
> there is a way to attach an identity to a folder, which somehow
> allows to have the same behaviour as described above.
>
> Although applying this to all folders within a receiving account is
> not very efficient, so the proposition of "linking" a receiving
> account to an identity remains...

There is a way to link messages received through a certain account to an
appropriate identity:
You can create an account-specific filter that sets the appropriate
identity for all messages received through a certain account. KMail
stores this identity in an additional message header. Therefore this
approach is highly inefficient for IMAP accounts and I suggest to use
it only for POP3 accounts.

Obviously, this approach does not help with newly created message.

Regards,
Ingo