[Kde-pim] Kontact and Groupware - features

Roland Wolters wolters.liste at gmx.net
Sat Aug 25 15:44:31 BST 2007

Hi,

recently I was asked if I could help writing an article about Kontact and it's
Groupware features for a German IT magazine (this issue was also mentioned at
this list, you might remember).
However, my experiences in this field are limited and I have some questions I
would like to ask here. Don't bother with structure, language, text form or
whatever, I will take care of that later on.

While reading through the questions please keep in mind that the target
audience are skilled administrators and technicians. The more technical
detailed the answer is the better.

So:
The main question is: where does Kontact store the Groupware configuration
data? Imagine an admin who wants to alter some options or the configuration,
where does he/she has to look, how can these data be accessed and altered?

And of course, which data can be managed there, which are tricky to manage and
what is impossible - allfrom the point of view of an administrator?

Also, how is the current, real state of the Groupware connection? I guess
really interested people should only use the Enterprise branch and I read
that there is the Scalix connector development going on at the moment. Also,
there is of course the Kolab connector and quite some hotos around describe
eGroupware and Kontact. So, the question is how well do all these connectors
work in real life, how well are they integrated? And which other connectors
listed at kontact.kde.org/groupwareservers.php would you really describe
at "supported"? (If there are enough information I would create a table
comparing the connectors).
And what are the technical differences between the connectors? While Scalix
and Kolab work with IMAP e-mail attachments (as far as I understood it) what
about the others?

In general, if you have any information you think could be interesting and are
not mentioned in the docs I would of couse be happy to read them. The more
information the better :)

Last but not least, since you are at the moment in the Akonadi sprint: I would
also put some additional information about Akonadi into the article, so if
there is anything you'd like me to mention regarding Akonadi and Groupware
support, just point it out.

That's enough for now I think. Best Regards,

Roland Wolters
aka liquidat