[Kde-pim] Kontact and Groupware - features

Markus Feilner lists at feilner-it.net
Mon Aug 27 08:26:16 BST 2007

Am Sonntag 26 August 2007 20:18:42 schrieb Tobias Koenig:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 04:44:31PM +0200, Roland Wolters wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Roland,
>
> > The main question is: where does Kontact store the Groupware
> > configuration data?
>
> Since Kontact consists of all the single PIM applications, each
> application stores the data in its own configuration/data directory.
>
> KMail:
>   Config: $HOME/.kde/share/config/kmail*
>   Data: $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/
>         $HOME/Mail or $HOME/.Mail (depends on the distribution :/)
>
> KOrganizer:
>   Config: $HOME/.kde/share/config/korganizerrc
>   Data: $HOME/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics
>
> KAddressBook:
>   Config: $HOME/.kde/share/config/kaddressbookrc          (app settings)
>           $HOME/.kde/share/config/kaddressbook_addrconfig (contact specific
> settings) $HOME/.kde/share/config/kabcrc                  (global
> addressbook settings, e.g. 'who am I' entry)
> $HOME/.kde/share/config/kabldaprc               (ldap connection settings)
> Data: $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf
>
> The other PIM applications follow a similar approach, just take a look
> at these directories.
>
> > Imagine an admin who wants to alter some options or the configuration,
> > where does he/she has to look, how can these data be accessed and
> > altered?
>
> The config files are standard KDE config files, so all mechanisms of
> KConfig (e.g. KIOSK mode) apply to them.
>
> > And of course, which data can be managed there, which are tricky to
> > manage and what is impossible - allfrom the point of view of an
> > administrator?
>
> Hmm, explaining all this would fill the whole article already ;)
>
> Lets make it short:
>
>   KMail: Don't touch the index files in $HOME/Mail, if they get
>   corrupted, KMail will have a problem.
>
>   KOrganizer: The data are stored in standard iCal format, so you can
>   edit them with a text editor.
>
>   KAddressBook: The data are stored in standard vCard format, so you can
>   edit them with a text editor as well.
>
> > Also, how is the current, real state of the Groupware connection? I guess
> > really interested people should only use the Enterprise branch and I read
> > that there is the Scalix connector development going on at the moment.
> > Also, there is of course the Kolab connector and quite some hotos around
> > describe eGroupware and Kontact. So, the question is how well do all
> > these connectors work in real life, how well are they integrated?
>
> Best integration has Kolab with the following features:
>   - Support for Events, Todos, Notes, Contacts, EMails
>   - Support for shared calendars, address books, note books
>   - Support for FreeBusy functionality
> Also take a look at the kolab.org site for more information, they are
> up-to-date so far.

Hi Roland,

Don't forget: another groupware that works perfectly with Kontact:
Citadel. http://www.citadel.org,
One of the oldest existing Free Software projects (founded 1982!)

Citadel Groupware.
- All of the above works, plus support for instant messaging.
- Uses free protocols, like Groupdav  ...

Citadel is pretty cool, because it supports replication among servers, Chat,
IM, Mobile Sync, webclient, web admin, admin Cli and more.
And I hear rumours that some folks are working on VOIP Integration with
Asterisk ...

We had an Article on Citadel in the german linux magazine some weeks ago, and
last year there was one in the english mag.
:-)

--

Best Regards - Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Markus Feilner

Feilner IT Linux & GIS
Linux Solutions, Training, Seminare und Workshops - auch Inhouse
Koetztingerstr 6c                93057 Regensburg
fon regensburg                  +49 941 8107989
mobil                           +49 170 3027092=20
www: www.feilner-it.net mail: mfeilner at feilner-it.net
My new book - Out now: http://www.packtpub.com/openvpn/book
OPENVPN : Building and Integrating Virtual Private Networks