Konsole scrolling

Karl Vogel kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:58:32 +0100

>> - with konsole: 86% CPU for X, 10% CPU for Konsole
>> - with XTerm: 7.7% CPU for X, 2.5% CPU for XTerm
>>
>> the anti aliasing. A rerun with anti-aliasing turned off in KControl
>> gives:
>>
>> - 16% CPU for X, 31% CPU for Konsole

> Can you repeat your test with my patch applied?

with anti-aliasing enabled:
- 60% CPU for X, 7% CPU for Konsole

without:
- 8% CPU for X, 10% CPU for Konsole

Looks much better indeed!

I'm a bit amased by the performance hit the anti-aliasing brings.. I thought
the font glyphs were cached, but seeing the performance hit incurred, I
guess this is not the case?!

$ xset q

 Font cache:
   hi-mark (KB): 1024  low-mark (KB): 768  balance (%): 70

So the cache is indeed enabled.. but I admit that I don't know that much
about this font caching.

Maybe this is a good tip for inclusion in a performance guide: don't use
anti-aliasing in Konsole.