Konsole scrolling

Waldo Bastian kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:02:26 +0100

On Thursday 20 February 2003 19:03, Karl Vogel wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >>
> >> The scrollbar kind.. dragging the scrollbar soaks up all CPU time and is
> >> really laggy.
> >
> > Hm.
>
> I just tried something in xterm & konsole : shake the scrollbar as fast as
> I can up and down (exact science :-) and monitor the CPU load in TOP while
> doing it.
>
> I got following approximate values for the terminal process (konsole/xterm)
> and the X server itself:
>
> - with konsole: 86% CPU for X, 10% CPU for Konsole
> - with XTerm: 7.7% CPU for X, 2.5% CPU for XTerm
>
> The load was consistent around that mark.. so there is a HUGE difference
> between a simple XTerm and a Konsole.
>
> NOTE: my machine isn't exactly low-end (Athlon XP 1700, 512Mb), so the 96%
> CPU load in Konsole for this test is a bit too much, no?!
>
> RH8, XFree 4.2 (local), CVS HEAD, NVidia GF4 (with their binary driver,
> RENDER acceleration not enabled as it messes up my KDE)
>

> Oh this set me thinking.. the server is probably taking that long due to
> the anti aliasing. A rerun with anti-aliasing turned off in KControl gives:
>
> - 16% CPU for X, 31% CPU for Konsole
>
> A bit better, but still quite high.. certainly more acceptable!

Well, I would expect CPU for (X+Konsole) to be approx. 100% because the
current implementation pretty much draws as fast and as often as it can. If
you give X less work to do by disabling AA, konsole will grab more of the
avilable CPU :)

Can you repeat your test with my patch applied?

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com