Konsole scrolling

Karl Vogel kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 00:30:09 +0100

Karl Vogel wrote:

> I'm a bit amased by the performance hit the anti-aliasing brings.. I
> thought the font glyphs were cached, but seeing the performance hit
> incurred, I guess this is not the case?!

More tests.. I tried with the (experimental) RenderAccel option set to TRUE
in the NVidia driver, ie XFree86.0.log snippet:

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
        Module class: XFree86 Video Driver

(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RenderAccel" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "CursorShadow" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling experimental RENDER acceleration
(**) NVIDIA(0): enabling cursor shadow

Then I get the following results:

- original Konsole:
        31% CPU for X, 42% CPU for Konsole

- with your patch:
        9% CPU for X, 10% CPU for Konsole

Both _WITH_ anti-aliasing enabled. So the slow AA performance was due to the
NVidia driver taking a software path.

In the past I had trouble with transparent menu's when the RenderAccel was
turned on. I'll try it again for a while.

Bottom line.. your patch helps alot.. but when AA is used, accelerated
RENDER is called for.