Konsole scrolling

Karl Vogel kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:03:02 +0100

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Thursday 20 February 2003 12:45, Karl Vogel wrote:
>> On 20 Feb 2003, you wrote in kde.kde-optimize:
>> > Which scroll-speed are we interested in? Scrollbar scrolling or
>> > scrolling caused by issuing "find /"?
>>
>> The scrollbar kind.. dragging the scrollbar soaks up all CPU time and is
>> really laggy.
>
> Hm.

I just tried something in xterm & konsole : shake the scrollbar as fast as I
can up and down (exact science :-) and monitor the CPU load in TOP while
doing it.

I got following approximate values for the terminal process (konsole/xterm)
and the X server itself:

- with konsole: 86% CPU for X, 10% CPU for Konsole
- with XTerm: 7.7% CPU for X, 2.5% CPU for XTerm

The load was consistent around that mark.. so there is a HUGE difference
between a simple XTerm and a Konsole.

NOTE: my machine isn't exactly low-end (Athlon XP 1700, 512Mb), so the 96%
CPU load in Konsole for this test is a bit too much, no?!

RH8, XFree 4.2 (local), CVS HEAD, NVidia GF4 (with their binary driver,
RENDER acceleration not enabled as it messes up my KDE)

Oh this set me thinking.. the server is probably taking that long due to the
anti aliasing. A rerun with anti-aliasing turned off in KControl gives:

- 16% CPU for X, 31% CPU for Konsole

A bit better, but still quite high.. certainly more acceptable! (the medium
font output looks like crap now, but that can be changed, so no probs with
that)