dcop auto-overuse

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Dec 10 01:48:02 CET 2003

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 19:31, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> > > The non-KDE case is of course different, and I wouldn't really comment
> > > on it, since I don't care much.
> >
> > but you should; it's one of the arguments used against kde apps ...
>
> I would say that when a KDE application is started, that it should not
> start the DCOP server when KDE is not running.  Some people have complained
> that this is the biggest problem with running a minimal X with a fullscreen
> konsole, and I can speak from experience that starting Konsole on my
> SparcStation 20 w/2x125MHz CPUs & 360Mb RAM from ratpoison (minimal window
> manager) takes 3-5 seconds to start.  When wanting to run it at startup, it
> was quite annoying to have a 3-5 second delay to get started in an
> environment that otherwise started instantly.

  So if I start app X and KDE is not running, it doesn't start dcopserver and
doesn't talk dcop.  Then I start app Y.  App Y sees that KDE is not running
and does not start dcopserver or talk dcop.  I want app X to talk to app Y.
How?  Also since most apps use kded, it's kind of pointless to avoid starting
dcopserver.  It's almost guaranteed that an average KDE app is going to talk
to kded sooner or later.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/