dcop auto-overuse

Casey Allen Shobe cshobe at softhome.net
Wed Dec 10 01:31:18 CET 2003

> > The non-KDE case is of course different, and I wouldn't really comment
> > on it, since I don't care much.
>
> but you should; it's one of the arguments used against kde apps ...

I would say that when a KDE application is started, that it should not start
the DCOP server when KDE is not running.  Some people have complained that
this is the biggest problem with running a minimal X with a fullscreen
konsole, and I can speak from experience that starting Konsole on my
SparcStation 20 w/2x125MHz CPUs & 360Mb RAM from ratpoison (minimal window
manager) takes 3-5 seconds to start.  When wanting to run it at startup, it
was quite annoying to have a 3-5 second delay to get started in an
environment that otherwise started instantly.

--
Casey Allen Shobe
cshobe at softhome.net
Jabber: sigthor at jabber.org; ICQ: 1494523; AIM/Yahoo: SomeLinuxGuy
Despite the rising cost of living, it remains a popular activity.