dcop auto-overuse

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Mon Dec 8 18:20:42 CET 2003

On Monday 08 December 2003 17:50, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:43:22AM -0500, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > The non-KDE case is of course different, and I wouldn't really comment
> > on it, since I don't care much.
>
> but you should; it's one of the arguments used against kde apps ...

I have to agree here: There are e.g. a lot of none-KDE users of kcachegrind
out there. And I myself currently am using KMail standalone on a remote
server with X redirection...

> > Well almost: I wonder whether it would make sense to just not launch
> > dcop server if not absolutely needed for the app. Of course, Konqueror
> > is an example of an app that does need DCOP quite significantly.
>
> yeah ... unfortunately any "sufficiently kde-ish" application will need
> the server - at some point; this is where background/on-demand loading
> comes into play.

Is there some (GUI) app to monitor DCOP traffic? I really can't say anything
about DCOP needs of an app without such data.

Josef