Phonon, Qt5 and Tomahawk

Harald Sitter sitter at
Tue Jan 8 10:54:50 GMT 2013


On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Teo Mrnjavac <teo at> wrote:

> those of you who are maintaining Phonon, thanks! You rock!

thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

> Unfortunately I couldn't be in Randa for the last MM meeting so I'm a
> bit out of the loop wrt Phonon. As you certainly know by now, Qt 5.0
> is out, and with Tomahawk we are looking to move to it as soon as
> possible, especially on Windows and OSX, while still being able to
> compile with Qt 4 on Linux for the time being. Dominik has already
> managed to do some rough porting of Tomahawk, but Phonon is a bit of a
> stumbling block.

as a general note there will be a two step transition to qt5. first there
will be an API compatible version of phonon4 meant to be used with qt5.
this version will feature a different soname (as the abi is different due
to qt5 itself) but otherwise remain phonon4 so that only build system
adjustments are necessary.
after that comes phonon5 which features much needed api changes.

> I'd appreciate if you could please give us an update on the current
> state of the Phonon/Qt5 porting effort, and its backends.

there is a port in the phonon5 branch meant for kf5 that will be pretty
much what the qt5 support release will be. backends have not been ported at
all, but in general the changes needed for both libphonon and the backends
are rather small ones (i.e. as usual it is more a matter of QA than actual

> Specifically:
> * are there any particular blockers or is it "just" a time/manpower issue?


> * is someone working on it at this time?

it's on my todo for january, so I hope to have a release by the end of the

> * do current plans require Phonon to be shipped as a framework in KF5
> or can it be released separately?

it would help to know what you really meant to ask there :P
the framework people think it a good idea for phonon releases to be handled
by the kde release team and as such they would happen whenever a framework
release is. should phonon 5 (i.e. the api release) be ready before kf5 I do
not see why it should have to wait though.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>
-------------- next part --------------
kde-multimedia mailing list
kde-multimedia at

More information about the kde-multimedia mailing list