Contribute in kde-multimedia during SoK

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Tue Aug 20 23:55:40 BST 2013

On Tue, August 20, 2013 09:57:56 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Shubham Chaudhary
>
> <shubhamchaudhary92 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > No, I haven't. I really want to work on something this summer. I've
> > submitted patches to several organisations like kate, amarok etc.  I'm
> > comfortable with any project.
>
> Folks, this is not cool. If you don't have mentoring capacity please
> at least let Shubham know that so he has a chance to look for
> something else.
> Shubham: I'm terribly sorry. This isn't how this is supposed to go.
> Are there other areas you are interested in?

I apologize. I don't have a lot of mentoring capacity this year (and for the
foreseeable future as long as I'm in the kind of "real life" I've been in the
past couple of years).

Shubham: For JuK, there is an ongoing effort lead by Martin Sandsmark (CC'ed)
to port JuK completely away from KDE3 support libraries to allow it to be
ported to the Qt5-based KDE libraries. It seems to have trailed off in
November though, and it's quite a difficult task (otherwise it would already
be done, I promise you!).

Easier things might be adding more metadata categories to JuK, so that it
would be possible to e.g. determine when a file was initially added to the
collection.

If you're more worried about feature development then a simple way to sync
playlists to/from a music device might be nifty, and would go well toward the
"music management" ideal of JuK.

But honestly the best thing to do (almost by definition) would be to consider
the bugs at bugs.kde.org reported against juk.

Many haven't been triaged in some time (possibly years), and may be fixed
already, or no longer relevant. Getting those closed out would make the valid
bug reports easier to find.

In addition users are able to vote for bugs, so you could simply look for bugs
that have the highest vote count to see what the people feel are the biggest
complaints in JuK. And the process of trying to track down where in the JuK
code a given bug might be coming from is a fairly instructive way to learn a
new codebase.

Though email for me is a source of sadness, I am usually available on IRC
(mpyne on Freenode) for a few hours at night (American Eastern Standard Time,
GMT -0400). If you ping me on #kde-multimedia I should be able to help you out
a bit better (though as always, time permitting... often I'm on IRC but not
available at my computer because Real Life is awesome ;).

Thanks for continuing to ping though, and I'm sorry that it's taken a stern
reminder (which is completely deserved) to get a response regarding JuK.
Please let me know how I can help in enabling you to help.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne