Contribute in kde-multimedia during SoK

Shubham Chaudhary shubhamchaudhary92 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 07:20:57 BST 2013

Hi Michael

On 8/21/13, Michael Pyne <mpyne at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tue, August 20, 2013 09:57:56 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Shubham Chaudhary
>>
>> <shubhamchaudhary92 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > No, I haven't. I really want to work on something this summer. I've
>> > submitted patches to several organisations like kate, amarok etc.  I'm
>> > comfortable with any project.
>>
>> Folks, this is not cool. If you don't have mentoring capacity please
>> at least let Shubham know that so he has a chance to look for
>> something else.
>> Shubham: I'm terribly sorry. This isn't how this is supposed to go.
>> Are there other areas you are interested in?
>
> I apologize. I don't have a lot of mentoring capacity this year (and for the
> foreseeable future as long as I'm in the kind of "real life" I've been in
> the past couple of years).
>
> Shubham: For JuK, there is an ongoing effort lead by Martin Sandsmark
> (CC'ed)
> to port JuK completely away from KDE3 support libraries to allow it to be
> ported to the Qt5-based KDE libraries. It seems to have trailed off in
> November though, and it's quite a difficult task (otherwise it would already
> be done, I promise you!).
>
> Easier things might be adding more metadata categories to JuK, so that it
> would be possible to e.g. determine when a file was initially added to the
> collection.
>
> If you're more worried about feature development then a simple way to sync
> playlists to/from a music device might be nifty, and would go well toward
> the "music management" ideal of JuK.

+1
Nice idea and totally doable. AFAIK nautilus/dolphine is able to
distinguish the music device from other usb devices, so there must be
some way to get a signal when a music device is connected. Then we can
search for the songs stored in the media player and also copy songs
from a playlist into the device.

> But honestly the best thing to do (almost by definition) would be to
> consider the bugs at bugs.kde.org reported against juk.
>
> Many haven't been triaged in some time (possibly years), and may be fixed
> already, or no longer relevant. Getting those closed out would make the
> valid bug reports easier to find.

Yes some bugs are almost a "decade" old. It'll be nice to have a clean
and up-to-date buglist.
I'll be happy to help. I'll go through the 180 bugs, sort them and try
to fix as much as I can.
Once this is done, I'll try to start the music device sync feature. I
hope we will be able to figure out an arrangement to communicate
without wasting much of each-others time by that time. I can work on
my on once I know that how a particular thing should be implemented
(in existing files, new library; things like that) because that
depends on how you guys want this project to turn out to be.
After that since #kde-devel and #kde-multimedia are always there, I
hope they will be able to help me if I get stuck and the mentor isn't
available at that particular time.
Cool?

> In addition users are able to vote for bugs, so you could simply look for
> bugs that have the highest vote count to see what the people feel are the biggest
> complaints in JuK. And the process of trying to track down where in the JuK
> code a given bug might be coming from is a fairly instructive way to learn a
> new codebase.

True that.

> Though email for me is a source of sadness, I am usually available on IRC
> (mpyne on Freenode) for a few hours at night (American Eastern Standard
> Time, GMT -0400). If you ping me on #kde-multimedia I should be able to help you
> out a bit better (though as always, time permitting... often I'm on IRC but not
> available at my computer because Real Life is awesome ;).
>
> Thanks for continuing to ping though, and I'm sorry that it's taken a stern

No Problem at all :)

--
Regards,
Shubham Chaudhary