Phonon - Qt or KDE?

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Sat Nov 12 16:46:58 GMT 2011

On Friday, November 11, 2011 12:59:17 PM Trever Fischer wrote:
> Since we can't just sit on this discussion, here's a list of pros and cons
> I've made in the case of moving from KDE to Qt
>
> Pros:
> * Jira
> * Gerrit
> * Closer to Qt developers
> * Helps everyone forget about that QtMultimediaKit blunder
> * Can pull in more Qt users
> * Can help find any big bumps or rough spots for other projects who would
> like to perform the same leap
> * Not everyone hates it
>
> Cons:
> * Need to update all our URLs. Again.
> * Possibly involves getting a new mailing list
> * Some KDE devs have an irrational fear of working with Nokia in this
> manner, much like people don't like using pgst because gstreamer isn't a
> KDE project and we hates the gee oh yes we does, precious.
> * Not everyone likes it
> * Really, the shed should be azure with green trim.

I haven't really said much yet, but here I go. I think it'd be a really bad
idea to abandon the KDE infra (let along port to qmake...) speaking as someone
who is working on a non-KDE project that uses Phonon.

Just read those list of Pros/Cons above it really feels like you're pulling
all the stops for the "Pros" and then totally ignoring the valid "Cons" and
just listing some trivial non-issues (updating urls/ml is not hard...) The
concerns that Aaron brings up are valid.

I'm not sure how it would help non-KDE people use Phonon. Phonon was already
included in Qt and the reason people weren't using it, in my opinion, was more
due to the shoddy cross-platform audio backend support that Trolltech/Nokia
failed to deliver. Nowadays we have awesome new Phonon devs and phonon-vlc is
great, but before phonon-vlc and phonon-gst was maintained, it was simply
really f'ing hard to use phonon on mac/windows, if it worked at all. Having a
functional Phonon on all 3 platforms that does not depend on KDE at all (like
right now!) will make people use it already, I think. And if they don't, I
don't think being hosted on qt-project.org will be the differentiating factor.

My 2c, anyway :)

cheers,
leo

--