Phonon - Qt or KDE?

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sat Nov 12 02:05:34 GMT 2011

On Saturday, November 12, 2011 01:38:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, November 11, 2011 12:59:17 Trever Fischer wrote:
> > Since we can't just sit on this discussion, here's a list of pros and cons
> > I've made in the case of moving from KDE to Qt

I had honestly hoped this entire discussion would have petered out with the
conclusion of "remaining in KDE infrastructure" by now since it's the only
logical conclusion I can see based on past behavior.

We are, after all, talking about a so-called "Pillar of KDE" so there should
really be a significant reason to pull Phonon out of KDE infrastructure.

For starters, I have to ask: Even assuming that being developed in Qt will
pull in more Qt users (leaving alone the fact that in theory Phonon has
*already been* part of Qt for years now)... how will that help KDE?

Likewise with CMake (and this is the one that boggles my mind ;): Are there
/actually real people/ who refuse to use Phonon based on the lack of a qmake
build system? It can't be Windows users either, they're pretty much just going
to use the DLLs and skip the build issue entirely.

Unfortunately I'm not exactly in tune with the Qt-only community so I can't
answer this myself, but I can't see how changing the URL of our infrastructure
and mailing list and changing build systems would be the key enabler of Phonon
usage. We already have many examples of libraries that are deliberately Qt-
only and yet effectively only used by KDE, at some point we're going to have
to stop "throwing good money after bad"...

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne