Phonon - Qt or KDE?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 6 01:16:05 GMT 2011

On Saturday, November 5, 2011 22:28:59 Romain Perier wrote:
> Le 05/11/2011 22:05, Harald Sitter a écrit :
> > So, what do you think? Move to qt-project or stay on KDE infrastructure?
>
> KDE is an awesome project, really, but I think qt-project offers us more
> possibilities than staying in KDE.
> so qt-project++ , for me.

has Qt really showed the kind of commitment and love to phonon in the past
that justifies that statement?

where did Phonon start? where did people step up from to pick it up when it
was left to languish again? think about where the community actually is, not
where we wish it was.

if you are hoping to reach out to Qt developers more, please realize that this
is a goal for all of KDE's libraries with Frameworks 5. instead of fragmenting
and each trying to "fight for recognition" on our own, it would make a lot
more sense to work together and create a coordinated effort that sees all of
KDE's libraries be more visible and viable for Qt developers.

> Assuming we move phonon to qmake (just assuming),

phonon is already enough of a chore to build. moving to the rather inferior
qmake (particularly for redistributable libraries) would not be a step in the
right direction.

a lot of Qt projects out there use cmake. particularly non-trivial projects.

> what about kde softwares ? A lot of kde softwares use cmake...

you could always provide cmake modules, so this isn't particularly an issue
(other than limiting the amount of people who would be familiar enough with
the build system to work on it ..)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se