kdemultimedia and svn -> git

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Fri Jan 14 19:03:46 GMT 2011

2011/1/14 Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com>:
> On Wednesday 12 January 2011, Ian Monroe wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 16:22, George Kiagiadakis
>

>> <kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Why is that a hell? What's wrong with it? And what "more" modules? Did
>
>> > anybody split anything else yet?
>

>> We just did kdebindings, and thats the only KDE module to split so far
>
>> AFAIK. kdebindings as one module was pretty hellish, I think anyone
>
>> who has tried to build it can agree.
>

> I agree with splitting kdebindings, especially because some parts of it was
> not installable without modifying /usr which I didn't want to.
>
> Is there an option to split modules and still make it possible to deal with
> them collectively (like you can in SVN with extragear for instance). The
> use-case is parttime library developers who just wants the standard KDE
> application that uses the modifying custom kdelibs and core modules? Having
> multiple KDE installations, some from distro, some build from sources, is
> not really a desirable solution, and the alternative is that developers are
> not eating our own dogfood.

Yes, I think we could do some cool stuff with cmake to make this
happen. You can do big ole hacks to allow build-by-itself +
build-together (see kdesupport circa some months ago), but cmake has
some features to make it possible to do in a more controlled way,
using the export command. After boot-strapping (and maybe even before
that), you could theoretically build an entire linux distro with one
cmake build command, though everything would need to use cmake. :D

Anyways for the future, kde-scm-interest is the proper bitch n'
bikeshed mailing list. :)

Ian