kdemultimedia and svn -> git

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri Jan 14 18:33:29 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 12 January 2011, Ian Monroe wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 16:22, George Kiagiadakis
>
> <kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Oh God NO!!!!
> >>
> >> Please please do NOT split up any more modules, you are making
> >> developing for KDE absolute hell.
> >
> > Why is that a hell? What's wrong with it? And what "more" modules? Did
> > anybody split anything else yet?
>
> We just did kdebindings, and thats the only KDE module to split so far
> AFAIK. kdebindings as one module was pretty hellish, I think anyone
> who has tried to build it can agree.

I agree with splitting kdebindings, especially because some parts of it was
not installable without modifying /usr which I didn't want to.

Is there an option to split modules and still make it possible to deal with
them collectively (like you can in SVN with extragear for instance). The use-
case is parttime library developers who just wants the standard KDE
application that uses the modifying custom kdelibs and core modules? Having
multiple KDE installations, some from distro, some build from sources, is not
really a desirable solution, and the alternative is that developers are not
eating our own dogfood.

`Allan