KGoldrunner silenced in KDE 4.6 RC1

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Mon Jan 3 03:05:02 GMT 2011

Hey Ian!

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 December 2010 5:15:16 am you wrote:
>> The best thing would be to turn on Phonon debugging by exporting a couple
>>  of environment variables, get a log and then send it to
>>  kde-multimedia at kde.org or report a bug, usually this should give a pretty
>>  good idea of what is wrong.
>>
>> export PHONON_PULSEAUDIO_DEBUG=5
>> export PHONON_VLC_DEBUG=5
>> export PHONON_GST_DEBUG=5
>> export PHONON_XINE_DEBUG=5
>> export PHONON_DEBUG=5
>>
> I just tried this on my development version of KGoldrunner with KDE and
> Qt libraries as at 30 June 2010 and was surprised to discover that I am
> using the GStreamer backend, not Xine, which I think was always loaded in the
> past.  My versions are OpenSuSE 11.2 with GStreamer 0.10.24-3.1, Qt 4.6.2
> and KDE 4.5.60 (KDE 4.6 >= 20100627).  These versions give me sounds
> that are sometimes OK and sometimes late or missing altogether.  There
> are no short (footstep) sounds.

Hm, maybe should give in to the addication and start playing the game 24/7 :D
When I tried it (for some 20 minutes or so) I did not notice any late
sounds with gstreamer. It might however also be that either the
gstreamer lib itself is at fault or our current git version contains
improvement for that, though I could not imagine what change could
have had influence on that sort of thing.

> I cannot tell which backend is being used in my desktop (as opposed to
> development) KDE and KGoldrunner, because there is no debugging in
> the released versions.  The versions are OpenSuSE 11.2 with either
> GStreamer 0.10.24-3.1 or Xine (libxine1) 1.1.16-7.6, Qt 4.5.3 and
> KDE 4.3.5 (released 28 Jan 2010).  I think Xine is being used, based on
> past memories, which could be mistaken.  These versions play sounds fine,
> except that (contrary to what I said before) footstep sounds are not heard.

Yes that would be xine then, I also noticed missing foot steps with
xine, though I believe this to be a problem with the xine library. But
as the xine backend is a bit unmaintained (xine upstream actually does
not spit activity either) I am not sure we can get things moving
there. For testing I would very much recommend phonon-gstreamer
(ultimately with/from Phonn 4.4.3 or even git) or phonon-vlc.
By the way, you can check the backend in use via systemsettings'
multimedia category, which by default should show the Phonon KCM with
a  'backend' tab.

> I thought I fixed the "inaudible footsteps" problem in trunk on July 2009 by
> changing the longer sounds to *.ogg files but keeping very short sounds
> (<0.5sec) as *.wav (rev 991088).  That has become something of a "rule
> of thumb" in KDE Games, but lately I seem to remember other games
> having problems with very short and frequent sounds being inaudible.

Well, very short sounds usually are even smaller in wav than they
would be in OGG-Vorbis in my experience so that makes perfect sense :)
What worries me though is that there are general problems with
inaudibility... I'll try to look into this for Phonon 4.4.4 (schedule
sometime soonish). Do you have any idea what other games are affected
by this?

> Maybe I am using very old backends and that is the problem.  Please
> let me know what you would like me to try next.

Well, it would be awesome if you could test with latest git version of
phonon and phonon-gstreamer
git://anongit.kde.org/phonon
git://anongit.kde.org/phonon-gstreamer

regards,