KDE Sound and Multimedia Plan

Sun Jan 2 18:49:20 GMT 2011

Hi,

[FYI I'm not subscribed. Please CC me in answers.]

I did not read mail last month for multiple reasons, so I completely missed
this discussion, but I would like to give my 0,02$ as well. The hat I'm
wearing is that of the author of libtagaro, the soon-to-be libkdegames v2.0.
(Not to be confused with Gluon, the other new KDE game development framework
which is unrelated to the existing kdegames module.)

Mauricio Piacentini summarized our (kdegames team) position quite well: We
want multi-channel output of preloaded sound samples. GluonAudio uses OpenAL
for playback and libsndfile for audio file decoding. libsndfile only supports
WAV, FLAC and OGG, but that's enough for the desktop gaming because the sounds
come with the application, so the developer/designer can keep this restriction
in mind when creating the sound effects.

TagaroAudio is also OpenAL/libsndfile-based, but hides all the complexity that
OpenAL offers. It has only two classes, an AudioScene where you configure the
listener (i.e. master volume and position - if you want positional playback),
and a Sound class which loads a single sound file and can start multiple
playbacks of it. For reference, code of TagaroAudio is at
git.kde.org/libtagaro in the tagaro/audio directory. It's also used in
kdegames by 4.6 Granatier (through a static source code copy).

This is what I consider our (=kdegames) needs. If I were to make a wishlist
for Phonon or some other KDE multimedia API, I would like a synchronous
decoding API for arbitrary sound files (to replace the libsndfile dependency)
and multi-channel low latency playback ("low latency" as in: the guaranteed
playback time should be mildly related to what the developer intended).

Greetings
Stefan