KGoldrunner silenced in KDE 4.6 RC1

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 04:30:02 GMT 2011

Hello Harald,

Apologies for writing to you personally.  I sent two emails to
kde-multimedia, but they are being moderated and one of them has
some wrong information anyway.

On Tuesday 28 December 2010 5:15:16 am you wrote:
> The best thing would be to turn on Phonon debugging by exporting a couple
>  of environment variables, get a log and then send it to
>  kde-multimedia at kde.org or report a bug, usually this should give a pretty
>  good idea of what is wrong.
>
> export PHONON_PULSEAUDIO_DEBUG=5
> export PHONON_VLC_DEBUG=5
> export PHONON_GST_DEBUG=5
> export PHONON_XINE_DEBUG=5
> export PHONON_DEBUG=5

I just tried this on my development version of KGoldrunner with KDE and
Qt libraries as at 30 June 2010 and was surprised to discover that I am
using the GStreamer backend, not Xine, which I think was always loaded in the
past.  My versions are OpenSuSE 11.2 with GStreamer 0.10.24-3.1, Qt 4.6.2
and KDE 4.5.60 (KDE 4.6 >= 20100627).  These versions give me sounds
that are sometimes OK and sometimes late or missing altogether.  There
are no short (footstep) sounds.

I cannot tell which backend is being used in my desktop (as opposed to
development) KDE and KGoldrunner, because there is no debugging in
the released versions.  The versions are OpenSuSE 11.2 with either
GStreamer 0.10.24-3.1 or Xine (libxine1) 1.1.16-7.6, Qt 4.5.3 and
KDE 4.3.5 (released 28 Jan 2010).  I think Xine is being used, based on
past memories, which could be mistaken.  These versions play sounds fine,
except that (contrary to what I said before) footstep sounds are not heard.

I thought I fixed the "inaudible footsteps" problem in trunk on July 2009 by
changing the longer sounds to *.ogg files but keeping very short sounds
(<0.5sec) as *.wav (rev 991088).  That has become something of a "rule
of thumb" in KDE Games, but lately I seem to remember other games
having problems with very short and frequent sounds being inaudible.

Maybe I am using very old backends and that is the problem.  Please
let me know what you would like me to try next.

All the best, Ian W.