KGoldrunner still silenced in KDE 4.6

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:01:01 BST 2011

On Monday 18 April 2011 4:51:00 am Trever Fischer wrote:
> > On Saturday 09 April 2011 2:21:48 pm Ian Wadham wrote:
> > Back in December/January I could get sound, but it was severely
> > delayed and out of sync after just a few seconds of play, ending with
> > almost no sounds at all being played.  Trunk was then at the KDE 4.6
> > release level, near enough.
> >
> > My theory is that my gstreamer package may be just too old.  Is there
> > a minimum version requirement for Phonon?  I am using OpenSuSE 11.2
> > and the gstreamer version from that distro is libgstreamer-0_10-0 or
> > 0.10.24-3.1-i586.
> >
> From the log file, it looks like something is seriously fubar'd with your
> gstreamer installation.
>
> Try the command listed under "Recreating the gstreamer pipeline":
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/Phonon

The gstreamer installation seems OK.  It is v0.10.24, which it appears
is only four minor points behind the latest GStreamer release.

The gst-launch command and another utility I found, gst123, both play
my sound-files very well in my usual login (ianw), but not when I switch
to my development user (kde-dev).  I tried using sux rather than su
to do the user-switch, but the results were no better, refer to
    http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Run/Shell

The problem seems to be, both for gst-launch and gst123, that
"alsasink" is not found in the kde-dev environment (see attached
error messages).

I will try to see what Shell environment variables have gone missing
when switching users or maybe I will go back to building KDE trunk
in my main user account, as I always did until a few days ago.

On Monday 18 April 2011 3:50:01 am Ian Monroe wrote:
> Using the latest distro is always a good start. :)

My regular desktop contains a large amount of non-KDE-devel work,
such as photo-processing, finances, presentations and class notes,
so I like to stay on an old distribution for most of my work.

For app development work I try to keep up with trunk, not the latest release,
a) because changes in libraries, especially graphics and sound, often
throw up problems in KDE games and b) because other gamers often like
to use the latest and greatest from Qt/KDE and I like to build and try
out their games' new features.  Also I don't wish to have too many versions
of builds active at any one time for reasons of disk space and
bandwidth (which is not great, here in Australia).

Cheers, Ian W.