knotify and libcanberra Re: KDE Sound and Multimedia Plan

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 3 10:42:02 GMT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Daniel Marcus at 02/12/10 20:59 did gyre and gimble:
> Alex's idea actually sounds very appealing to me as an end user. It
> would be nice if for example, a game could specify that it wants to use
> libcanberra so that sounds most closely match events. As an added bonus,
> by still using phonon, it can intelligently make sure that an input
> media is playable through a certain service, especially if for example,
> a user has a sound file that uses a particular codec that works with
> say, VLC but not libcanberra.

I should stress that libcanberra wasn't designed as a game library. It
may well work fine for some games which have a relatively small number
of "bings" and "beep" type noises, but I don't know how well it would
scale beyond that (it work very well or there may be limitations, but
there should be no problem combining e.g. phonon for background music
and using a few samples cached in libcanberra for quick playback.

It would be worth doing a few tentative tests in this area before
deciding on it however.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie