Phonon 4.2 and integration for Qt 4.5

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sat Jun 14 10:31:00 BST 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > How about we add some preprocessor logic to let the backend code
> > explicitly say what version of the Phonon backend API it wants to
> > implement? Then setting nothing would mean version <= 4.1. If you want to
> > implement 4.2 you compile with -DPHONON_BACKEND_VERSION_4_2. It would
> > additionally or alternatively be possible to ignore that macro and bump
> > the interface version of the implementing class (i.e.
> >   class AudioOutput : public Phonon::AudioOutputInterface
> > becomes
> >   class AudioOutput : public Phonon::AudioOutputInterface42
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> This is about adding virtual methods to an interface, right?  Why don't you
> just make the improved audio output interface subclass from the old one?
>
> That way the backends which are recent enough to "know better" will
> implement the new one, which will be still compatible with the old one, and
> yet it will be source compatible as well since backends that don't "know
> better" will simply implement the less capable interface.
>
> Or would Phonon have trouble using either interface?

Like I said, it was a deliberate choice to break SC, and I think for a good
reason. My question above was primarily meant to get a definitive answer on
that topic and not on how to avoid breaking SC. So tick here :-)

[ ] Good reason. Breaking SC is ok for the backend interface.
[ ] The reason still does not justify breaking SC.

If we settle on the second we can discuss the best solution next.

Regards,
	Matthias

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de